Sunday, November 19, 2023

The Long Room - Trinity College

Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland  2023

The Long Room is the main chamber of the Old Library at Trinity College in Dublin.  It is normally filled with 200,000 of the oldest books in the library.  It was undergoing a renovation during our visit.   Also housed in the Old Library is the Book of Kells, an Illuminated Manuscript written and decorated ca. 800.  I did see the Book of Kells, but photography was not allowed.  I did get a picture describing the history of the Book of Kells.




 

3 comments:

  1. I have been there, and was impressed by collection and the Book of Kells, as well as the oldest harp in Ireland, the symbol of the nation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book of Kells was very impressive. I also saw the harp and got a picture of it. I'll have to post that. I didn't know that the harp is the official symbol of Ireland, not the shamrock. I though the harp was the official symbol of Guiness..

      Delete
    2. The harp And the shamrock are official symbols of Ireland. It is used by Guinness and Harp Ale. Hope you continue to enjoy your Irish adventure.

      Delete